Skip to main content

Book Review: Pierre the Maze Detective: The Search for the Stole Maze Stone

Pierre the Maze Detective: The Search for the Stolen Stone by Hiro Kamigaki and IC4De\ESIGN

Pierre the Maze Detective has a new case. Mr X has stolen the Maze Stone, which has the power to turn the whole of Opera City into a maze. Can you help Pierre and his friend Carmen find their way through the mazes – and stop Mr X before it's too late?


Who hasn't grown up with Where is Waldo? I spend hours and hours just searching for that guy. Well in Japan they now have something different. Pierre the Maze Detective. As with Horrorgami, an arts and crafts book that MidasPR send me for review and which is also published by Laurence King publishing, Pierre the Maze Detective isn't a book that I would normally review, since I normally stick to fiction. But when I am confronted with such a book I cannot say no. I love to puzzle and when you like it as much as I do Pierre the Maze Detective is right up your alley. 


Now besides being a puzzle book, the name Maze Detective should already say enough, there is a definite storyline that you follow across all of the 34 pages and 15 mazes that you have to figure out. Meet Pierre the Maze Detective, a short little man with a red coat and a magnifying glass ready at hand. One day he is casually reading a book and sipping some tea, but as you know bad guys never rest. One of those bad guys, Mr. X has gotten hold of a powerful artifact known as the Maze Stone which turn everything into a Maze. Luckily Pierre is a very good detective and sets out to retrieve the Maze Stone from Mr. X. 




This adventure takes Pierre through many different scenarios starting with the crime scene the museum followed by the busy street and plaza, even a chase through the air and water and lets not forget the train tracks and treehouses! Every new scenario is presented with a short introduction of what Pierre has to do and what Mr. X is up to. Added to each of the scenarios are also extra objectives to find objects or other persons, giving it that extra challenge. This also adds much more difficulty to the scenarios as you first are trying to figure out the correct way, which becomes increasingly difficult, as well as trying to find all the different items, which also become much more abundant. 


I really have to say that Pierre the Maze Detective is definitely a very cool and well worked concept. Everyone can and will enjoy this book. I can already see my kids, they will be occupied with this books for hours if not weeks. When I was doing the scenarios I got very competitive, I kept the score and when I lent the book friends I kept check to what they could and couldn't find, emphasis on the latter part of course!




I do have to give credits to the designers Kiro Kamigaki and IC4DESIGN for the high quality of and diversity of the mazes that they managed to create, they are beautiful. I mentioned that I loved to do Where is Waldo but there was always that moment of when I couldn't find him. I got frustrated with it, Just when you thought you had him, the pattern of his sweater was just a bit off. THey are more playful and definitely more approachable, Even if you just want to do one, you end up doing the whole book. It was just neat to follow the trail with your finger. You can do it in your mind, but it just won't be the same.


Pierre the Maze Detective is just amazing. I loved the concept from the start. This book will keep everyone from all ages occupied for ages. It's just a whole lot of fun to do. Get your copy asasp, and make a family challenge. Make sure you shield the solutions at the end though!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview with Christopher Fowler

Author interview with Christopher Fowler. Author bio:  Christopher Fowler is an English novelist living in London, his books contain elements of black comedy, anxiety and social satire. As well as novels, he writes short stories, scripts, press articles and reviews. He lives in King's Cross, on the Battlebridge Basin, and chooses London as the backdrop of many of his stories because any one of the events in its two thousand year history can provide inspiration In 1998 he was the recipient of the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year, for 'Wageslaves'. Then, in 2004, 'The Water Room' was nominated for the CWA People's Choice Award, 'Full Dark House' won the BFS August Derleth Novel of The Year Award 2004 and 'American Waitress' won the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year 2004. The novella 'Breathe' won BFS Best Novella 2005. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi Christopher, welcome over to The Bo

Short Fiction Friday: Selfies

Selfies by Lavie Tidhar "Selfies", by Lavie Tidhar, is a creepy little horror tale about the fate of a young woman who makes the mistake of a lifetime when she buys a new phone in the local mall. It is only a few weeks back that I read a different but very interesting short story of Lavie Tidhar, Dragonkin . I found this story directly to my liking, the synopsis and build up of the story was unique and got me excited by it's less is more writing style. In the end this story for me had so much going on that I hope to see Lavie Tidhar exploring it even further. That aside, now its time for Selfies . I think I can now safely say that Lavie Tidhar is an author to watch out for, his stories will get you thinking and will scare you twice over.  I have been thinking a lot of the current situation with always being connected on social media and the likes. It's unavoidable. One thing that is connected with all of this is of course your smartphone, yes no longer a cell

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor  By Weston Ochse © 2015   There’s something at once terrifying and romantic about an invasion. One wrong move could mean the destruction of everything you know and love, but in the heat of battle, there are crystalline moments in which true humanity shines. Like many military authors, I often look to history for guidance on how to write the future. I’ve always looked at the Battle of Rorke’s Drift as the perfect sort of battle to represent an alien invasion. One hundred and fifty British soldiers in a remote outpost are beset by four thousand Zulu warriors. The odds seemed impossible, yet in the end the British won the day. The early Michael Cain movie Zulu retells this story and stands as one of my favorite military movies of all time. There are moments in the film that resonate. In the face of overwhelming attack, the sergeant major lowly commanding his men to take it easy. Right when everything seems los