Skip to main content

Author Interview with Dave Bara



Author Interview with Dave Bara

Author bio:

Dave Bara was born at the dawn of the space age and grew up watching the Gemini and Apollo space programs on television. He dreamed of becoming an astronaut one day. This soon led him to an interest in science fiction, especially on television. His early years were filled with dozens of episodes of the original Star Trek, Lost in Space, The Outer Limits, and The Twilight Zone.

He began to read science fiction voraciously in his teens, with authors like Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, Frederick Pohl, Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, Gordon Dickson, and Joe Haldeman being among his favorites. This led him to try his hand at writing, which he continued all through his college years, even using a novel project as part of his undergraduate degree studies. During these years the story concepts for what would become The Lightship Chronicles series began to take form.



------------------------------------------------

Hi Dave, welcome over at The Book Plank and thanks for taking your time to answer these few questions for us.

BP: First off could you give us some info about who Dave Bara is? What are your likes and dislikes and what do you like to do besides writing?
DB: I’m basically a guy who grew up in the space age. I was always fascinated with the Gemini and Apollo space missions, in fact, they’re some of my earliest memories. After that I grew up reading the classic SF authors like Asimov, Herbert, and Clarke, among so many others. SF has always held a strong place in my heart, and I was very influenced by TV shows like Star Trek, Lost In Space, and The Outer Limits, so that’s what my fiction angles towards.
 


Besides writing, I’m a huge football fan, both American and English. I’m a huge Man City supporter, have been since 1979. Last year was brilliant as my local team Seattle Seahawks won the Super Bowl and then City won the Premier League. I live in interesting times!

BP: You haven’t been writing for long, what motivated you to pick up the pen and start writing a story?
DB: Actually, I’ve been writing most of my life, just not consistently or with an eye towards publication. I got serious in 2005, giving myself specific goals about getting an agent and getting published. Glad to say I’ve achieved those, and now I wonder why I waited so long!

BP: Impulse, the first book in The Lightship Chronicles, is a Space Opera Science Fiction story. What gave you the idea behind the story of Impulse?
DB: I had a “future history” that I had outlined in college. In the middle of that timeline I had a ship-based adventure that I knew I wanted to tell. After I’d finished (and trunked) my first novel, I started in on the story that became Impulse.

BP: Prior to Impulse you wrote one other book, Speedwing, did the experience you gained with Speedwing help write Impulse? Did you have to plan differently since Impulse is part of a series?
BD: Actually, Impulse was written before Speedwing. They were both intended as part of a series, and part of the overall future timeline I talked about, although Speedwing was intended for a YA audience. Speedwing was published before it was ready, in my opinion, so that experience did help me with the various re-writes I did on Impulse. And there is a scene in Impulse where I mention Speedwing’s as a type of fighter that was used in the previous war, so there is some linkage.

BP: Did you encounter any specific problems when you were writing Impulse?
DB: Well, yes. At one point my agent pointed out that I had seven sex scenes in the book, so that was toned down quite a bit. There was also a major re-write of the second act that I did at the request of a publisher who ultimately made an offer on the book. That didn’t end up in a sale though, which I think was to every one’s benefit, but that version of the book is the one you see now.

BP: What was the hardest part in writing Impulse?
DB: When you’re trying to sell a first novel to a major publisher, the hardest part is making sure you hit all the right points. Is there enough action? Is there enough character? Did I use the right viewpoint? It was a process that took a couple of years to fully get through, but the end result I think is the best version of the book by far.

BP: Besides the hardest part in writing Impulse, which chapter, scene or character did you enjoy writing about the most?
DB: That’s a hard one, but I think my favorite is the scene where Peter breaks up the fight on the landing deck between the Carinthian and Quantar marines. He gets a chance to tell them a story about the Imperial civil war, and how much damage it has caused for humanity, and how they can never let their old prejudices drag them back to that point again.

BP: Impulse will be released on the 12th of February, if you would have to sell your book with a single sentence how would it go?
DB: A young hero is forced to risk his life to save his world from attack by a mythical enemy that turns out to be all too real.

BP: if you would be given the chance to retract Impulse from publishing and make one final adjustment to the book would you do so? And if yes, which part and why?
DB: I’d bring back the character of Peter’s first love, Natalie Decker. In the final version, she just ends up dead. In earlier versions she was much more integral to the story, and Peter’s maturation, but much of that had to be cut out for length, sadly.

BP: Do you have any other projects that you wish to pursue in the near future next to The Lightship Chronicles? 
DB: Well the second book, Starbound, is in at the publishers now and I’m dabbling in the third book as we speak. The one thing I’d like to see published is a novel called Void Ship, that’s currently sitting on the shelf. It’s in a different universe from TLC books, and it’s tons of fun.

BP: Everyone enjoys fantasy and science fiction in their own way, what do you like most about this genre?
DB: The chance to create a whole world of your own. That’s always been the number one thing for me.

BP: If you would have to give your top 5 favorite books, which would they be?
DB: That’s easy. Dune, The Mote In God’s Eye, The Forever War, Rendezvous With Rama, and the Foundation books.

BP: and just lastly can you give us a sneak peek of what might be in store for the readers of Impulse and what the direction might be of the series?
DB: Let’s just say that in Starbound things get more complicated for Peter in every way, from the standpoint of his experiences, romances, and facing the probability of war. He has to make tough choices, and it may cost many lives depending on which way he goes.

BP: Thank you very much for your time Dave and good luck with your future writing!
DB: Thanks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview with Christopher Fowler

Author interview with Christopher Fowler. Author bio:  Christopher Fowler is an English novelist living in London, his books contain elements of black comedy, anxiety and social satire. As well as novels, he writes short stories, scripts, press articles and reviews. He lives in King's Cross, on the Battlebridge Basin, and chooses London as the backdrop of many of his stories because any one of the events in its two thousand year history can provide inspiration In 1998 he was the recipient of the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year, for 'Wageslaves'. Then, in 2004, 'The Water Room' was nominated for the CWA People's Choice Award, 'Full Dark House' won the BFS August Derleth Novel of The Year Award 2004 and 'American Waitress' won the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year 2004. The novella 'Breathe' won BFS Best Novella 2005. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi Christopher, welcome over to The Bo

Short Fiction Friday: Selfies

Selfies by Lavie Tidhar "Selfies", by Lavie Tidhar, is a creepy little horror tale about the fate of a young woman who makes the mistake of a lifetime when she buys a new phone in the local mall. It is only a few weeks back that I read a different but very interesting short story of Lavie Tidhar, Dragonkin . I found this story directly to my liking, the synopsis and build up of the story was unique and got me excited by it's less is more writing style. In the end this story for me had so much going on that I hope to see Lavie Tidhar exploring it even further. That aside, now its time for Selfies . I think I can now safely say that Lavie Tidhar is an author to watch out for, his stories will get you thinking and will scare you twice over.  I have been thinking a lot of the current situation with always being connected on social media and the likes. It's unavoidable. One thing that is connected with all of this is of course your smartphone, yes no longer a cell

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor  By Weston Ochse © 2015   There’s something at once terrifying and romantic about an invasion. One wrong move could mean the destruction of everything you know and love, but in the heat of battle, there are crystalline moments in which true humanity shines. Like many military authors, I often look to history for guidance on how to write the future. I’ve always looked at the Battle of Rorke’s Drift as the perfect sort of battle to represent an alien invasion. One hundred and fifty British soldiers in a remote outpost are beset by four thousand Zulu warriors. The odds seemed impossible, yet in the end the British won the day. The early Michael Cain movie Zulu retells this story and stands as one of my favorite military movies of all time. There are moments in the film that resonate. In the face of overwhelming attack, the sergeant major lowly commanding his men to take it easy. Right when everything seems los