Skip to main content

Author intervierw with Marie Brennan


Author interview with Marie Brennan

Author bio:
Marie Brennan is a former academic with a background in archaeology, anthropology, and folklore, which she now puts to rather cockeyed use in writing fantasy. She lives in the San Francisco Bay Area, where she spends her time practicing piano, studying karate, and playing a variety of role-playing games. 

--------------------------------




Hi Marie, welcome over to The Book Plank and for taking your time to answer these few questions for us.

BP: First off, could you give us a short introduction as to who Marie Brennan is? What are your likes/dislikes and hobbies?
MB: I'm a fairly big gaming nerd -- not so much video games (though I love the Dragon Age series) as tabletop and live-action roleplaying games. I actually studied those in graduate school, before leaving to write full-time. I also have been practicing karate for the last five years or so.

BP: You have been writing for many years already, do you still know the moment when you decided that you wanted to become a full time author?
MB: Oh, absolutely. It was after I read Diana Wynne Jones' <i>Fire and Hemlock</i> for the first time. I was nine or ten, and when I put the book down, I knew I wanted to be an author. I'd made up stories before then, but that's the first time I remember wanting to tell stories for other people to read.

BP: You are well known for you Doppelganger and Onyx Court series, Memoir by Lady Trent is something completely different, what gave you the idea behind the story of Lady Trent?
MB: It grew out of two things: the Dragonology calendar (which is sort of a field guide to different kinds of dragons) and Todd Lockwood's anatomical illustrations for the D&D gaming book Draconomicon. They gave me the notion of doing after dragons to study them, rather than to kill them and take their treasure.

BP: Were you able to use any previous experience from your earlier series when you were writing the Memoir by Lady Trent books?
MB: The Memoirs segued fairly naturally out of With Fate Conspire, which is the last book of the Onyx Court series, because that one takes place in the Victorian period. Certainly the research habits I learned in working on that series have come in handy, though this time around I don't have to be 100% faithful to a specific historical reality.

BP: A Natural History of Dragons got some rave reviews, had you expected the book to be such a success?
MB: I certainly hoped it would be! But authors hope that for every book, of course. I felt like it had a chance to tap into a certain zeitgeist: the current enthusiasm for steampunk-type stuff, an unconventional woman for the protagonist, and so on. I also think it benefited from having a bit of crossover appeal for people who like historical fiction or science fiction -- the latter in particular. Isabella is a scientist, and so although I do think of the books as fantasy, the mentality is in some ways science fictional instead.

BP: The Tropic of Serpents is out June 20th  this year, if you had to sell your book with a single sentence, how would it go?
MB: Isabella comes into her own as a natural historian, journeying to a lethal jungle to study the dragons there, and nearly getting herself killed (as she often does).

BP: Which chapter/scene did you enjoy writing the most?
MB: The big sequence at the Great Cataract. I don't want to be more specific, because it's quite late in the book and would have spoilers, but the image of that place and my ideas for what she would find there made me look forward to that the whole way through the book.

BP: The Tropic of Serpents is the second book in the Memoir by Lady Trent series, have you already mapped out how many books will follow?
MB: Yes, it will be a five-book series in total. As both a reader and a writer, I prefer stories that come in bounded arcs, rather than being just an ongoing string of episodes. I'm building up toward the big discovery, the one that made Isabella really famous.

BP: Do you have any other projects that you would like to pursue after The Tropic of Serpents is published?
MB: I have a contract with Tor for a stand-alone novel after I complete this series, and while we may change our plans between now and then, right now the intent is for me to write a book called The Changing Sea, which I call my interdimensional Flying Dutchman pirate novel. It should be fun!

BP: And just lastly, can you give us a sneak peak as to what will be in store for the readers of the Lady Trent series?
MB: The third book, Voyage of the Basilisk, will be coming out next year. As you might guess from the title, Isabella gets on a ship and goes sailing around the world, Darwin-style, to study dragons in a variety of different places.

BP: Thank you very much for your time Marie and good luck with your future writing projects!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview with Christopher Fowler

Author interview with Christopher Fowler. Author bio:  Christopher Fowler is an English novelist living in London, his books contain elements of black comedy, anxiety and social satire. As well as novels, he writes short stories, scripts, press articles and reviews. He lives in King's Cross, on the Battlebridge Basin, and chooses London as the backdrop of many of his stories because any one of the events in its two thousand year history can provide inspiration In 1998 he was the recipient of the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year, for 'Wageslaves'. Then, in 2004, 'The Water Room' was nominated for the CWA People's Choice Award, 'Full Dark House' won the BFS August Derleth Novel of The Year Award 2004 and 'American Waitress' won the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year 2004. The novella 'Breathe' won BFS Best Novella 2005. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi Christopher, welcome over to The Bo

Short Fiction Friday: Selfies

Selfies by Lavie Tidhar "Selfies", by Lavie Tidhar, is a creepy little horror tale about the fate of a young woman who makes the mistake of a lifetime when she buys a new phone in the local mall. It is only a few weeks back that I read a different but very interesting short story of Lavie Tidhar, Dragonkin . I found this story directly to my liking, the synopsis and build up of the story was unique and got me excited by it's less is more writing style. In the end this story for me had so much going on that I hope to see Lavie Tidhar exploring it even further. That aside, now its time for Selfies . I think I can now safely say that Lavie Tidhar is an author to watch out for, his stories will get you thinking and will scare you twice over.  I have been thinking a lot of the current situation with always being connected on social media and the likes. It's unavoidable. One thing that is connected with all of this is of course your smartphone, yes no longer a cell

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor  By Weston Ochse © 2015   There’s something at once terrifying and romantic about an invasion. One wrong move could mean the destruction of everything you know and love, but in the heat of battle, there are crystalline moments in which true humanity shines. Like many military authors, I often look to history for guidance on how to write the future. I’ve always looked at the Battle of Rorke’s Drift as the perfect sort of battle to represent an alien invasion. One hundred and fifty British soldiers in a remote outpost are beset by four thousand Zulu warriors. The odds seemed impossible, yet in the end the British won the day. The early Michael Cain movie Zulu retells this story and stands as one of my favorite military movies of all time. There are moments in the film that resonate. In the face of overwhelming attack, the sergeant major lowly commanding his men to take it easy. Right when everything seems los