Skip to main content

Author interview with Jeff Norton

Author interview with Jeff Norton

Last year I saw the first book in the series, Fight for the Future, contacted Jeff, and since than contact has been quite often. The first book blew me away, quite literally and have been urging to read the next books ever since. The MetaWars series tackles heavy subjects like escapsim, several MetaTrends, growing up and fighting for you believes. Jeff breaks it down to let the younger audience understand it as well And to celebrate this one year release which is today August 2nd, I had a chat with Jeff about the past, present and future.

Author bio:
Jeff Norton is a writer, filmmaker, and founder of Awesome, a creative incubator.  Jeff is the author of the award-winning MetaWars books.  Originally from Canada, Jeff lives in London, UK. 

Hi Jeff, first of all welcome to The Book Plank and for taking some time out of your schedule to answer these few questions.
JN: It’s a pleasure to be here, Jasper! Your blog offers such thoughtful analysis and truly insightful reviews of fiction that it’s an honour! 

BP: First off can you give a short introduction of yourself, what do you like to do in your spare time etc.?
JN: Ha! I love that you think I have spare time! I have a young family with two boys under four, so outside of writing hours (which is one thing I love to do) I play with my kids.  Spare time is something of a luxury. 

As for introduction, I’m originally from Canada and now live in London, UK, where I spend every day writing, producing, and creating what I think are awesome stories…and I hope other people do to! 
MetaWars has been out already for 1 year to date, you have written three books in the series so far with the 4th out in 2014. Would you ever have guessed to get this far with your idea?

This has been a passion project - an obsession really – so it’s amazing to see it come to life across four books.  The story world is so epic, that I didn’t think I could contain it to one book, but to see it be popular enough to spur four installments is a dream come true!

BP: Last month you won the Rotherham book award for MetaWars, how did this made you feel?
JN: It was incredibly validating because the Rotherham Award is voted on by readers (not literary judges) and it means that the book is connecting with readers.  And that’s why I do what I do.

When I craft a story in the solitude of my office (or in a bustling coffee shop), I write stories that I would want to read but I have no idea if it will resonate with a wider readership. This award means that MetaWars is making a true connection.

BP: When did you decide that you wanted to write the MetaWars series, and what gave you the inspiration to write the book?
JN: I’d been thinking about the intersection of human behaviour and technology for a while - since the first virtual worlds came onto the scene and Facebook took off - but the inspiration came during the Icelandic ash cloud when I was stuck, stranded and unable to travel. I turned to the internet to keep in touch with family and friends and the concept crystalized that in a future where traditional travel isn’t possible (or easy), whomever controls the web literally controls the world.

BP: MetaWars is a Young-Adult book but there are several heavy themes in there, why did you decide to write it for a younger audience instead of for a more adult audience?
JN: Rather than thinking of MetaWars as for young adults, I wanted to tell as story set in a future that today’s young adults might inherit. I think the themes (and yes, they are very heavy, and need dealing with) are going to impact today’s young readers more than someone who’s middle aged today.  In some ways, MetaWars isn’t for young adults, but for young people who will be full adults in a few years.  

BP: Lying heavy on certain themes like the dystopian and escapism, do you think that you younger audience will understand this undercurrent of themes? And do you try to put them into thinking of the future?
JN: I think today’s young readers are much more in tune with challenges facing the world because they have their whole lives ahead of them. I visit a lot of schools and the students really understand climate change and globalisation. They’re still in the process of learning and connecting the dots, but they’re incredibly curious and concerned.  That’s a great start.

I see my job as first and foremost telling a great story. But I also feel I have a responsibility to say something meaningful, especially to young readers.  I think the world is facing several fundamental challenges and it’s my hope that MetaWars readers will begin thinking about them in a meaningful and structured way.  I’m counting on the fact that today’s young reader of MetaWars may be involved in solving these challenges in the future.

BP: Did you face any particular problems while writing the MetaWars series?
JN: The only problem I faced was that in trying to write about the future (approximately 30 years ahead), I was constantly discovering that things I invented in the books were becoming reality – from research into brain digitization to Granger’s cyber-kinetic walking system. I really didn’t want the books to feel old fashioned before they even came out. But I suppose that’s a occupational hazard when predicting the future!

BP: What was the hardest part to write in the series so far?
JN: I think the hardest part was writing the violence.  A lot of characters in the MetaWars books don’t place a high value on human life, and that’s an incredibly disturbing thing to internalize as both a writer and a father.

BP: If you would be allowed to rewrite any paragraph of any book would you do it and why?
JN: I don’t think I would. Every author writes the words they think are best suited to tell the story they want to tell. There are a lot of books where I wish the characters made different choices, but it’s not anyone’s place to change what an author chooses to write.

As for my own books, I sometimes do wonder if in time, I’d ever be tempted to going back and doing a ‘director’s cut’ version.  But I think that would be looking backwards and not forwards.



BP: Was the whole story for MetaWars planned in advance or did you take any idea’s on the fly as well?
JN: I mapped out the entire story arc, and knew I wanted to base each book around one of the four ‘corners’ (the server farms that power the future internet), but as the characters developed, they ran off in their own directions. The series became more character led as Jonah and Sam both grew up and made proactive choices.  The plot unfolds from those character actions instead of some ‘master plan’ I as an author might have had. The biggest example of this is that I adjusted the overall story arc to allow for Jonah’s growing feelings for Sam. That relationship becomes a major driver for his actions in the fourth book.

BP: The MetaWars series will run as a quartet. Might there be a possibility for pursuing additional stories in this world?
JN: I’ll never say “never,” but I think the ending to the fourth book (The Freedom Frontier) is very satisfying. I don’t want to give anything away; but I think it’s a very elegant ending to the adventure.

BP: What is your personal opinion about the advancing MetaTrends will they become a problem in the near future?
JN: I think they already are. The MetaTrends of today are tomorrow’s challenges.  Unless we address the underlying forces that are shaping our future (population growth, scarce resources, climate change, and digital escapism), the dystopian world that I illustrate in MetaWars could become our inherited reality.

BP: Are you busy with other book projects besides MetaWars? What can we expect from you in the future?
JN: I’m working on something very different now that is very funny and a total departure from MetaWars. It’s called ‘Memoirs of a Neurotic Zombie’ and it’s about a kid called Adam Meltzer who has OCD and gets stung to death by a bee.  He rises from the grave to solve his own murder.  It’s got a deadpan (excuse the pun) humour to it and is a blast to write.  Watch this space (well, www.jeffnorton.com) for news on Adam Meltzer.

BP: If you would recommend any books, which would they be?
JN: Too many!  But I’ll share a few of my favourites.  The Great Gatsby is my favourite novel of all time and I’m a big John Irving fan.  In the kids/YA space, I love Patrick Ness’ work, Philip Reeve, and Moira Young.  In non-fiction, I really enjoyed David Brooks’ The Social Animal, a kind of whimsical survey course in modern neuroscience research and I’m excited to take the new Jeffrey Sachs book on holiday.

BP: Thank you for your time Jeff and I would like to wish you the best in pursuing your future endeavors.
JN: Thanks Jasper! It’s been a pleasure.

To see what Jeff Norton is doing more besides The MetaWars series, follow him on his social media account of visit his website!

Read the full reviews of the MetaWars books here:

MetaWars #1: Fight for the Future
MetaWars #2: The Dead are Rising
MetaWars #3: Battle of the Immortal





Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview with Christopher Fowler

Author interview with Christopher Fowler. Author bio:  Christopher Fowler is an English novelist living in London, his books contain elements of black comedy, anxiety and social satire. As well as novels, he writes short stories, scripts, press articles and reviews. He lives in King's Cross, on the Battlebridge Basin, and chooses London as the backdrop of many of his stories because any one of the events in its two thousand year history can provide inspiration In 1998 he was the recipient of the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year, for 'Wageslaves'. Then, in 2004, 'The Water Room' was nominated for the CWA People's Choice Award, 'Full Dark House' won the BFS August Derleth Novel of The Year Award 2004 and 'American Waitress' won the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year 2004. The novella 'Breathe' won BFS Best Novella 2005. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi Christopher, welcome over to The Bo

Short Fiction Friday: Selfies

Selfies by Lavie Tidhar "Selfies", by Lavie Tidhar, is a creepy little horror tale about the fate of a young woman who makes the mistake of a lifetime when she buys a new phone in the local mall. It is only a few weeks back that I read a different but very interesting short story of Lavie Tidhar, Dragonkin . I found this story directly to my liking, the synopsis and build up of the story was unique and got me excited by it's less is more writing style. In the end this story for me had so much going on that I hope to see Lavie Tidhar exploring it even further. That aside, now its time for Selfies . I think I can now safely say that Lavie Tidhar is an author to watch out for, his stories will get you thinking and will scare you twice over.  I have been thinking a lot of the current situation with always being connected on social media and the likes. It's unavoidable. One thing that is connected with all of this is of course your smartphone, yes no longer a cell

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor  By Weston Ochse © 2015   There’s something at once terrifying and romantic about an invasion. One wrong move could mean the destruction of everything you know and love, but in the heat of battle, there are crystalline moments in which true humanity shines. Like many military authors, I often look to history for guidance on how to write the future. I’ve always looked at the Battle of Rorke’s Drift as the perfect sort of battle to represent an alien invasion. One hundred and fifty British soldiers in a remote outpost are beset by four thousand Zulu warriors. The odds seemed impossible, yet in the end the British won the day. The early Michael Cain movie Zulu retells this story and stands as one of my favorite military movies of all time. There are moments in the film that resonate. In the face of overwhelming attack, the sergeant major lowly commanding his men to take it easy. Right when everything seems los