Skip to main content

Serial Pub: Ninth Step Station s01e06

Ninth Step Station s01e06 by Curtis C. Chen

Years of disaster and conflict have left Tokyo split between great powers. In the city of drone-enforced borders, bodymod black markets, and desperate resistance movements, US peacekeeper Emma Higashi is assigned to partner with Tokyo Metropolitan Police Detective Miyako Koreda. Together, they must race to solve a series of murders that test their relationship and threaten to overturn the balance of global power. And amid the chaos, they each need to decide what they are willing to do for peace.

Ninth Step Station is written by a collaboration of authors including: Malka Older, Fran Wilde, Jacqueline Koyanagi and Curtis C. Chen. Similar to all the serials from Serialbox, this story is also released in episodes. Every episode is written by a different author.

Episode 6: The Stolen Xiǎohái

Last week we saw that our duo in Tokyo had to deal with a defector with sinister thoughts who in the end only had one way out. That of killing himself. It left a lot of questions on the chinese influence and what their ulterior motive really is. Before I started episode seven I did look up the word XiÇŽohái just so I know what is means and it translates from Mandarin into child. So The Stolen Child. Meet Colonel Ting the liason of the People Republic of China. During a visit in the Japanse side of Tokyo, his daughter, Annie, gets abducted. From an earlier encounter when Miyako was still in her younger years they actually met. Ting only wants her and Emma on the case. On the crime scene only Annie's data sleeve is found and this is not a lot to work with and get a lead. As an added bonus Miyako and Emma do get assigned reinforcements in the form of two Chinese police officers Wong and Liu or as Emma like to call them Jay and Silent Bob (guess they are icons in this world as well!). After a video is released the investigation goes into a rapid but then all of a sudden Ting disappears as well... Now they have to find two missing persons... 

There is a certain clash of cultures between these two teams which is showcased in just a terrific. Its part funny but also part serious. When you though that the relation between Miyako and Emma had some moments but this is next level. The ending of this story with the japanse rebellion, Yamashita-kai and the truckload of weapons that was delivered for other services, does prepare the overall story for a solid continuation. Definitely some pieces of the puzzle that are falling into place but there are still some missing. The story is getting better and better. 

----------------------------------

Tune in next week for  Episode 7!



Interested? Start reading by clicking this link!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author interview with John Gwynne

Author interview with John Gwynne Author Bio: I was born in Singapore while my dad was stationed there in the RAF. Up until he retired that meant a lot of traveling around, generally a move every three years or so. I live with my wife and four wonderful (and demanding) children in East Sussex. Also three dogs, two of which will chew anything that stands still. I have had many strange and wonderful jobs, including packing soap in a soap factory, waitering in a french restaurant in Canada, playing double bass in a rock n roll band, and lecturing at Brighton University. I stepped out of university work due to my daughter’s disability, so now I split my time caring for her and working from home - I work with my wife rejuvenating vintage furniture, which means fixing, lifting, carrying, painting and generally doing what my wife tells me to do... And somehow during this time I started writing. I’ve always told my children stories at bed-time, and they pestered long and hard for me to ...

Book Review: Foxglove Summer

Foxglove Summer by Ben Aaronovitch, Peter Grant #5 In the fifth of his bestselling series Ben Aaronovitch takes Peter Grant out of whatever comfort zone he might have found and takes him out of London - to a small village in Herefordshire where the local police are reluctant to admit that there might be a supernatural element to the disappearance of some local children. But while you can take the London copper out of London you can't take the London out of the copper. Travelling west with Beverley Brook Peter soon finds himself caught up in a deep mystery and having to tackle local cops and local gods. And what's more all the shops are closed by 4pm..   I am a big fan of Urban Fantasy detective, I know it is going to be a shocker but this is my first Peter Grant book that I read. I have been aware of this series for a long but just never got around to reading it. Ben Aaronovitch launched his writing career with the Doctor Who books, after writing several books, he...

Book Review: Legion of the Damned

Legion of the Damned by William C. Dietz, Legion #1 Far in the future, condemned criminals and the fatally ill have two choices: to die, or to join the Legion of the Damned, an elite fighting force made up of human legionnaires and cyborg soldiers. If they enlist, their bodies will be destroyed and their minds implanted in gigantic armored killing machines, programmed to fight for the Human Empire. As trouble brews among the Confederacy of Sentient Beings, the aggressive Hudathan aliens are turning their attentions towards Earth. Ruled by an insane emperor and a corrupt government, it’s up to the Legion to save the planet and the Empire from total destruction. Earlier this year I started reading the Prequel Legion series of William C. Dietz, two of the three books, Andromeda's Fall and Andromeda's Choice have been published so far with Andromeda's War to follow soon. I am a big fan of military SF, who doesn't like modified soldiers with heavy guns...