Skip to main content

Author interview with John Connors



Author interview with John Connors

 Hi John, welcome over at The Book Plank and for taking your time to answer these few questions for us

BP: First off, could you give us a short introduction as to who John Connor is? What are your hobbies, likes and dislikes?
JC: Hey, how are you? I live in Liverpool, UK a stones throw from Penny Lane! Ive got a full time job and apart from obviously writing I do quite a bit of gardening and Im interested in politics and films. I also review things on my blog thiswayup (www.thiswayup.blogspot.co.uk )

BP: Elemental is your debut into the fantasy fiction, when and where did you decide that you wanted to become an author?
JC: Probably about ten years ago. Id forgotten childrens books after I grew up but when the Harry Potter books started to become widely talked about I did an article about them and ended up reading them and then likewise with the Dark Materials books and it reconnected with my childhood somehow. Then I thought `Im sure I can write something along those lines but different.

BP: Writing a debut is daunting task, how did you went about it and plan it?
JC: Basically I wrote it in my spare time, weekends and occasional evenings. I ended up writing it about five times till I was satisfied it worked. The advantage of that approach is that I ended up also working out the plots for several other books.

BP: What gave you the idea behind the story of Elemental?
JC: It started when global warming was becoming a big news topic and led me to thinking about the idea of everything in the world being connected. Were on this small planet and though we often dont think about it, things we do affect the world when you add them up. I also felt it gave a credible method by which the main character can do the things he does. Its not magic or myth, its the planet itself.

BP: Elemental was released in April earlier this year, if you would have to sell it with a single sentence how would it go?
JC: Read Elemental if you like exciting, imaginative, powerful stories for children of all ages from 9 to 90!

BP: Did you encounter any specific problems so far in writing Elemental?
JC: The main problem was the length of time it took to write, across so many years. By the time Id finished Id almost forgotten the start!

BP: What has been the hardest part in writing Elemental?
JC: Getting the tone right and trying to imagine what sort of age would read the story. Ive pitched it as a childrens book but some people have told me its more of a young adults book. Also the childrens dialogue was difficult; its a while since I was that age so I had to guess how they talk. The other thing was all of the changes in technology. Smartphones and Twitter didnt exist when I started the book!

BP: Besides the hardest part, which chapter/scene did you enjoy writing about the most?
JC: The most fun part was writing the dialogue for Lord Pennington who talks in a very old fashioned way; the exchanges between him and Mrs Brackley were fun. Also thinking up the action sequences; I imagined what theyd be like if it was a film.

BP: If you would be given the chance to retract Elemental and make one final adjustment, would you do so? If yes, which parts and why?
JC: I suppose I might make Tom a bit more Cockney but thats about all; it went through so many drafts that most of the issues were ironed out. Plus I would remember to add page numbers!!

BP: Elemental is the first in a trilogy, do you have any other plans or projects that you wish to pursue in the near future?
JC: Actually its more than a trilogy. I have got other books in the works as well, one completed first draft and another idea though that wouldnt be a childrens book.

BP: Everyone enjoys science fiction and fantasy in their own way, what do you like most about it?
JC: For me there has to be a basis of reality in it something that I can identify with which is what Ive done with Elemental. If you start with something normal like a village and then have something odd happen, then something stranger and so on Im with that story then wherever it flies. Whereas if it starts on the planet Zeng its a harder sell for me. I do like Dune but thats something of an exception for me.

BP: If you would have to give your top 5 favorite books, which would they be?
JC: They wouldnt all be sci-fi or fantasy actually. I like Charles Dickens books because they are so vivid. I read a lot of non fiction too because I think a writer needs to stay connected to the real world. I would certainly put Dark Materials up there in a top five though and probably Dune.

BP: And just lastly, can you give us a sneak peak as to what will be in store for the readers of Elemental and possibly the direction of a possible sequel?
JC: The next book is set in the winter time and Im writing it now using words like frozen and chilled and its close on 30 degrees outside! What the second book will do is explore the main characters a bit more by placing them in a perilous situation from which they cant easily escape. There is some scarier stuff in there as well.

BP: Thank you for your time John and good luck with your future writing!
JC:
Thanks, all the best.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview with Christopher Fowler

Author interview with Christopher Fowler. Author bio:  Christopher Fowler is an English novelist living in London, his books contain elements of black comedy, anxiety and social satire. As well as novels, he writes short stories, scripts, press articles and reviews. He lives in King's Cross, on the Battlebridge Basin, and chooses London as the backdrop of many of his stories because any one of the events in its two thousand year history can provide inspiration In 1998 he was the recipient of the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year, for 'Wageslaves'. Then, in 2004, 'The Water Room' was nominated for the CWA People's Choice Award, 'Full Dark House' won the BFS August Derleth Novel of The Year Award 2004 and 'American Waitress' won the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year 2004. The novella 'Breathe' won BFS Best Novella 2005. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi Christopher, welcome over to The Bo

Short Fiction Friday: Selfies

Selfies by Lavie Tidhar "Selfies", by Lavie Tidhar, is a creepy little horror tale about the fate of a young woman who makes the mistake of a lifetime when she buys a new phone in the local mall. It is only a few weeks back that I read a different but very interesting short story of Lavie Tidhar, Dragonkin . I found this story directly to my liking, the synopsis and build up of the story was unique and got me excited by it's less is more writing style. In the end this story for me had so much going on that I hope to see Lavie Tidhar exploring it even further. That aside, now its time for Selfies . I think I can now safely say that Lavie Tidhar is an author to watch out for, his stories will get you thinking and will scare you twice over.  I have been thinking a lot of the current situation with always being connected on social media and the likes. It's unavoidable. One thing that is connected with all of this is of course your smartphone, yes no longer a cell

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor  By Weston Ochse © 2015   There’s something at once terrifying and romantic about an invasion. One wrong move could mean the destruction of everything you know and love, but in the heat of battle, there are crystalline moments in which true humanity shines. Like many military authors, I often look to history for guidance on how to write the future. I’ve always looked at the Battle of Rorke’s Drift as the perfect sort of battle to represent an alien invasion. One hundred and fifty British soldiers in a remote outpost are beset by four thousand Zulu warriors. The odds seemed impossible, yet in the end the British won the day. The early Michael Cain movie Zulu retells this story and stands as one of my favorite military movies of all time. There are moments in the film that resonate. In the face of overwhelming attack, the sergeant major lowly commanding his men to take it easy. Right when everything seems los