Skip to main content

Author interview with Snorri Kristjansson

Author interview with Snorri Kristjansson, author of Swords of Good Men, The Valhalla Saga.

In spring this year I already received an ARC of Swords of Good Men, Snorri Kristjansson's debut, but was asked to not read it before July. Well that took some discipline, as the Viking on the cover kept trying to win me over to pick it up! Swords of Good Men proved to go above my expectations. Snorri wrote up this story in a perfect manner; Swords of Good Men has Vikings, Scandinavian lore, brutal action and leaves the first book on a cliffhanger. I'm eager to see how this series will unfold

Read my review on Swords of Good Men here

Author bio:
Snorri Kristjansson was born in Reykjavik in 1974. He moved to Norway in 1983, where he lived for 7 years and found a passionate aversion to skiing. Since 2005, Snorri has been London-based, dabbling in classical acting and stand-up comedy while teaching children about Shakespeare and Drama.

Swords of Good Men is his first novel, and the first installment of the Valhalla Saga. It has Vikings in it, so expect moderate cursing and beards.

BP: Hi Snorri, welcome to my blog The Book Plank and thank you taking your time to answer these few questions for us.
SK: Thank you for having me!

BP: First of all, can you tell who Snorri is? What are your likes and dislikes, hobbies, etc?
SK: Wow. You don't start with the easy ones, do you? I'll have to think about this one a bit. I have been many things in my life, I suppose, switching professions and fields of study more often than a Viking changes his undergarments, but for the moment I am a teacher who writes. I like conversation and chocolate but dislike dogmatism and celery. Hobbies include very passive support of Arsenal FC and running (in the very loosest of terms - what I do is more like a middle-aged shuffle), but as I work full time as a teacher to support my ever more intensive writing habit, most of my 'spare time' tends to be spent hanging out with my awesome Wife.

BP: Swords of Good Men is your debut book, when did you decide that you wanted to write a book?
SK: I wrote my first book when I was five. It was four pages long, stapled together and started with the words 'The wheels of fortune for boys and girls turn in many a way'. I was a very precocious child. Since then I've written all kinds of things, but never leapt into proper long form until prodded to do so by literary agent Geraldine Cooke, who saw me do stand-up comedy in a London basement.

BP: Being new to writing a book how did you go about this and tackle the writing?
SK: I sat down, said '...well then!' and started writing. Shortly after I said '...hang on a minute - this is hard!'. What followed was a long period of cursing, shouting and shaking of metaphorical fists, and slowly the stuff started getting better. It probably helped that I completely unreasonably expect myself to be effortlessly brilliant at everything I do, and tend to get grumpy and try very hard to prove the world wrong when it turns out I'm not.

BP:Swords of Good Men is Epic Fantasy but Vikings aren’t often seen in this theme, for me this promised an interesting storyline. But where do you think that Swords of Good Men draws it’s strength from?
SK: I am ill-equipped to judge this, and it isn't really my job. Different readers will see different things they like or dislike, and they will be just as right as I am. For what it's worth, I don't think there's much story left if you take out people making mistakes, so let's go with that as the book's strength - a frank discussion of human failings in a historical setting.

BP: What was your biggest challenge in writing Swords of Good Men?
SK: Generally - making it good and knowing when to stop for the day. Specifically - writing Jorn was quite tricky, but I think I found him in the end. Writing Lilia was of course a massive undertaking, and one I did not approach lightly, but I think I got her to where she needed to be, more or less.



BP: Did you encounter any specific problems while writing Swords of Good Men?
SK: I suppose I've had all the ones a rookie writer can expect - bad pacing, exposition trouble, wooden dialogue - but problems are there to be learned from, so I haven't minded them so much.

BP: What was for you the coolest part to write in Swords of Good Men?
SK: Writing 'the end' felt pretty darn amazing. Of the characters, I had a soft spot for Sven and Thora, but by the end I was getting quite a buzz when I felt I was getting the people right.

BP: You introduced Scandinavian lore in Swords of Good Men, did you carry out specific research for this topic?
SK: Most of it was based on stuff I already knew, with details and texture added along the way. I had to step up my research a bit for Book 2.

BP: You introduced us to a few perspectives in Sword of Good Men, but kept the possible destiny of Ulfar quite obscure all along the story, was this done intentionally?
SK: Yes. I wanted to give the reader the chance to pick a side for as long as possible.

BP: Swords of Good Men has different influences in the storyline like the political part in Stenvik, the bold fighting of the Vikings and the mythical and magical of the Norse gods. Did you plan this out in this way or did this come along as you progressed with writing the story?
SK: The whole thing was woven together and outlined after I ran aground with the first 50.000 words. After that I kept a colour-coded excel document to keep track of scenes, storylines and characters. My writing tutor Nick Bain, who taught me to write, pretty much, still shakes his head at that.

BP: Do you have a favourite character in the series already?
SK: I try not to pick sides, which is just another way to say that I am a fickle and faithless beast.

BP: If you would be given the chance to rewrite any scenes of the book would you do so? And
if yes, which part?
SK: Oh. All of it? With a hammer? The Writer's Curse (one of many, weak tea being another) is that since I let that manuscript go I've written somewhere north of 250.000 words at a conservative estimate, and hope I am a better writer than the one who handed in Swords of Good Men. That being said, I think quite a lot of the book stands up to scrutiny. I might leave the hammer and instead tweak a little here and there, maybe tune a few things - mostly to do with pacing.

BP: Can you tell a bit more about what is in store for us in The Valhalla Saga
SK: In order not to give the game away, I might need to get a bit cryptic. Events have been set in motion, so motion is required. There will be moments of doubt and pain, madness and fury. There will be scheming on many levels, unwanted advice and dangerous gifts. Our heroes will meet a mysterious, older man.

BP: What do you like most about writing fantasy and science fiction?
SK: I like the people that write and publish the kinds of stories I like to read - but most of all I like the readers. I feel great harmony with people that sink so far into a book that they can burst out going '...YEAH! That's cool!' - only to realize that they are on public transport.

BP: Do you have any other side projects beside The Valhalla Saga?
SK: For my sins, I do. I'm never happy doing one thing at a time, and so I've gotten mysellf entangled in the glittering tentacles of writing for film. I'm still learning, but it is loads of fun and feeds back directly into the novels. I also have a YA thing in development, along with my application for a 27-hour, 9-day week.

BP: What can we expect from you in the near future?
SK: A Reddit AMA on August 8th, a book launch at 9 Worlds on August 9th and a reading at 9 Worlds on August 10th. A couple of blog posts along the lines of 'oh deary, it's actually happened' on www.snorrikristjansson.com, a few tweets, the odd Facebook update and then silence as I prepare for the autumn by editing book 2, outlining book 3 and getting ready to teach with one prose and one film project on the go.

BP: If you would have to recommend your five favourite books which would they be.

SK: Hm. Five, you say? Well, then five you shall get. These are my five favourite books of the moment:
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch - witty, snappy and a masterclass in style.
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck - a beautiful, beautiful book. Lean and mean.
Everything by Joe Abercrombie, stapled into one three-foot-tall SUPERBOOK that is also a weapon of mass destruction.
The City's Son by Tom Pollock - vividly, deliciously and annoyingly good.
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss - the paper-and-ink version of expensive red wine. Served in a barrel.

BP: Thank you for your time Snorri and good luck with the next book in line!
SK: Thank you for having me!
*charges into sunset, wielding axe*


Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview with Christopher Fowler

Author interview with Christopher Fowler. Author bio:  Christopher Fowler is an English novelist living in London, his books contain elements of black comedy, anxiety and social satire. As well as novels, he writes short stories, scripts, press articles and reviews. He lives in King's Cross, on the Battlebridge Basin, and chooses London as the backdrop of many of his stories because any one of the events in its two thousand year history can provide inspiration In 1998 he was the recipient of the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year, for 'Wageslaves'. Then, in 2004, 'The Water Room' was nominated for the CWA People's Choice Award, 'Full Dark House' won the BFS August Derleth Novel of The Year Award 2004 and 'American Waitress' won the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year 2004. The novella 'Breathe' won BFS Best Novella 2005. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi Christopher, welcome over to The Bo

Short Fiction Friday: Selfies

Selfies by Lavie Tidhar "Selfies", by Lavie Tidhar, is a creepy little horror tale about the fate of a young woman who makes the mistake of a lifetime when she buys a new phone in the local mall. It is only a few weeks back that I read a different but very interesting short story of Lavie Tidhar, Dragonkin . I found this story directly to my liking, the synopsis and build up of the story was unique and got me excited by it's less is more writing style. In the end this story for me had so much going on that I hope to see Lavie Tidhar exploring it even further. That aside, now its time for Selfies . I think I can now safely say that Lavie Tidhar is an author to watch out for, his stories will get you thinking and will scare you twice over.  I have been thinking a lot of the current situation with always being connected on social media and the likes. It's unavoidable. One thing that is connected with all of this is of course your smartphone, yes no longer a cell

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor  By Weston Ochse © 2015   There’s something at once terrifying and romantic about an invasion. One wrong move could mean the destruction of everything you know and love, but in the heat of battle, there are crystalline moments in which true humanity shines. Like many military authors, I often look to history for guidance on how to write the future. I’ve always looked at the Battle of Rorke’s Drift as the perfect sort of battle to represent an alien invasion. One hundred and fifty British soldiers in a remote outpost are beset by four thousand Zulu warriors. The odds seemed impossible, yet in the end the British won the day. The early Michael Cain movie Zulu retells this story and stands as one of my favorite military movies of all time. There are moments in the film that resonate. In the face of overwhelming attack, the sergeant major lowly commanding his men to take it easy. Right when everything seems los