Skip to main content

May Review Round-up

Time flies when your having fun. This how I best can describe the month of May. Again I have been able read a great number of books, some that were challenging and took a bit more time and for some others that were just too short. All in all I haven't encountered any books that I particularly disliked in any way. Instead by alternating the reading between the different genres, there isn't a build up of always reading the same. 

Not only was reading a lot of fun to do, I was also back in the game, well starting half of May, for training again for my marathon that is planned on the 20th of October later this year. The training runs are becoming more demanding in terms of longer runs averaging between 45 min to 2 hours, 3 times a week. It will cause me to have to cut back a bit on my reading time. Hopefully not too much though. Still got a many great titles waiting in line. 

I think for everyone the Review Round-ups should be known by now, but for some new readers here is the intention. With the Review Round-ups I want to highlight several books that I read during the last month that were my favorites. I think I can safely say that on a good month I can manage to get in between the 10-20 books done, depends a bit on the free time on my hands. I do have a week off next week, and I recon it is time for a different kind of marathon, a book-a-thon!

Here is my selection for May.

1. The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King (Hodder and Stoughton)
This book may not be missed in the Review Round-up. I have been a huge fan of The Dark Tower series. And now having finally had the time to catch up with the latest addition in the series, I again know why I like this series so much. I can put on an essay that might put you to sleep about why to read The Dark Tower series but I won't, just let me say if you haven't read this series you are missing out. The Wind Through the Keyhole, is a must read for every Dark Tower fan, it fits nicely into the series and can also be read as a stand-alone. Though not totally in the lines, in terms of what happens, with the original series. The collection of stories go more towards a horror and fairy tale inspired story. The Wind Through the Keyhole greatly enriches the existing universe of Stephen King's The Dark Tower.

2. Thieves' Quarry by D.B. Jackson (Tor)
I came across the books of D.B. Jackson a while ago and while looking up this possible new author I found out that it was a writing pseudonym for David B. Coe, one of my favorite authors. I have read all his books centered in the Forelands. But with the Thieftaker Chronicles, David B. Coe ventures into a new area, that of a mix of urban and historical fantasy. I haven't had the time to read the first book, but judging by the second book I just know that this is a series that is high on my list. Thieves' Quarry is a very interesting take on several genres showing as expected of David B. Coe a great many relatable characters and a more than rich world! Highly recommended 

3. Desert of Souls by Howard Andrew Jones (Head of Zeus)
Desert of Souls firstly escaped my notice, Head of Zeus kindly provided me with a review copy. All I can say is that Desert of Souls is for me quite special. Several genres are still going strong and urban fantasy is taking the lead more and more. Desert of Souls, as the name might imply takes place in a desert. Howard Andrew Jones opted to go for a Arabian Thousand and One Nights idea. Desert of Souls is a notable book that makes a unique appearance in between all the mainstream genres. Having a great promise in the storyline, edge of your seat sword fights and not the flawless characters that some authors use. Desert of Souls works its magic!


4. Power under Pressure by Andrew P. Mayer (Pyr)
Already the last and final volume in the steampunk series "The Society of Steam" by Andrew P. Mayer. Power under Pressure was published in January this year. I have made all the books of this of The Society of Steam favorites in each Review Round-up. But these books deserve to be there. They are intensely enjoyable, and as an author Andrew P. Mayer shows that he can deliver an amazing story on several fronts. With a great female heroine, a very cool setting and steampunked superheroes, what more can you wish for? Finishing this series, does on one level leave me with an empty feeling, but the way the ending of the book was written, I do think that we might see some additional follow-ups. Power under Pressure gives The Society of Steam the grande finale it deserves! 

5. MetaWars: Battle of the Immortal by Jeff Norton (Orchard)
Last year I started with Jeff Nortons debut MetaWars: Fight for the Future, a riveting, pacey young-adult/teen book, and it directly blew me away. The whole setting of the book, the characters but mostly the idea behind it. MetaWars, as you might have made up of the reviews I have written about them, discuss the trend of the Metatrends and what can happen is it all goes wrong. On another level, Jeff Norton really managed me as a reader to stop and think about it. However written for a much younger audience, most teen boys will be able to relate to Jonah's adventures, the intense science fiction setting, plugging into the MetaSphere and all. It's a great young-adult series, and I can safely say on of the betters that I have come across lately.

These are just 5 of the books that I have read this month, of course there were many more and all the books discussed in this Review Round-up have been put online already and you can find them back on my site. 


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Two Review Round-ups ago I started with integrating the "Looking forward to" part, where I highlight a few books that I plan to read in the coming month. 

And for June I got a great few titles to look forward to

The Other Woman by Graham Thomas (TheNeverPress)
In the summer of 2012 I was pleasantly introduced to a new writer. Graham Thomas and his new series that started of with the book Hats off to Brandenburg. Graham Thomas definitely set himself apart with this amazing book and even further showed that he is someone to be reckoned with, by his second book Maria and the Devil that was released in November last year. I have high hopes for The Other Woman (no pressure there!). The books of Graham Thomas have already made it to the top of my favorite list.

Damned if you do in the Nightside by Simon R. Green (Solaris)
Already the 7th and 8th stories in the rich Nightside series of Simon R. Green. The first 6 just kept amazing me and the 6th story actually wrapped up a large part of the story that was building up leaving the ending of it and follow up open for a lot of things. With the Nightside Simon R. Green has created a lush and macabre urban fantasy world that keeps on amazing me. 

In Thunder Forged by Ari Marmell (Pyr)
Last year in December both Pyr and Privateer Press made a big announcement of their new series. Privateer Press is the second largest miniature game manufacturer, the inventors of the award winning Warmachine steam-powered fantasy game. and the world of the Iron Kingdoms role playing game. The Iron Kingdoms world takes classic fantasy concepts and gives them a new twist with a high-octane rush of steam power and industrial engineering. These tie-in novels will be action-packed, steam-tech, military fantasies that combine elements of epic wartime adventure with thrilling cloak-and-dagger espionage. 
Doesn't this sound great? 

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (Spectre)
Last year this book was made into a major motion picture, featuring a top cast. I already made a short post then that it was high on my to read list, now having gotten a copy for reviewing I can't wait to read the book. (haven't watched the movie yet)


There are still a lot more titles on my list and I try to alternate genres and publishers to give everyone a feature on my blog. Keep an eye next month as well as I again tackle the ever growing to be read pile!

Again a big thank you for everyone who have send me books over the last few months, thank you for keeping me reading :-). 

Cheers,
Jasper

P.S.
I have decided to quit the fantasy book review team and started to using this blog for my own reviews. All reviews from now on will be originally posted on thebookplank.blogspot.nl.



Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview with Christopher Fowler

Author interview with Christopher Fowler. Author bio:  Christopher Fowler is an English novelist living in London, his books contain elements of black comedy, anxiety and social satire. As well as novels, he writes short stories, scripts, press articles and reviews. He lives in King's Cross, on the Battlebridge Basin, and chooses London as the backdrop of many of his stories because any one of the events in its two thousand year history can provide inspiration In 1998 he was the recipient of the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year, for 'Wageslaves'. Then, in 2004, 'The Water Room' was nominated for the CWA People's Choice Award, 'Full Dark House' won the BFS August Derleth Novel of The Year Award 2004 and 'American Waitress' won the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year 2004. The novella 'Breathe' won BFS Best Novella 2005. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi Christopher, welcome over to The Bo

Short Fiction Friday: Selfies

Selfies by Lavie Tidhar "Selfies", by Lavie Tidhar, is a creepy little horror tale about the fate of a young woman who makes the mistake of a lifetime when she buys a new phone in the local mall. It is only a few weeks back that I read a different but very interesting short story of Lavie Tidhar, Dragonkin . I found this story directly to my liking, the synopsis and build up of the story was unique and got me excited by it's less is more writing style. In the end this story for me had so much going on that I hope to see Lavie Tidhar exploring it even further. That aside, now its time for Selfies . I think I can now safely say that Lavie Tidhar is an author to watch out for, his stories will get you thinking and will scare you twice over.  I have been thinking a lot of the current situation with always being connected on social media and the likes. It's unavoidable. One thing that is connected with all of this is of course your smartphone, yes no longer a cell

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor  By Weston Ochse © 2015   There’s something at once terrifying and romantic about an invasion. One wrong move could mean the destruction of everything you know and love, but in the heat of battle, there are crystalline moments in which true humanity shines. Like many military authors, I often look to history for guidance on how to write the future. I’ve always looked at the Battle of Rorke’s Drift as the perfect sort of battle to represent an alien invasion. One hundred and fifty British soldiers in a remote outpost are beset by four thousand Zulu warriors. The odds seemed impossible, yet in the end the British won the day. The early Michael Cain movie Zulu retells this story and stands as one of my favorite military movies of all time. There are moments in the film that resonate. In the face of overwhelming attack, the sergeant major lowly commanding his men to take it easy. Right when everything seems los