Skip to main content

Author interview with Robert Dickinson

Author interview with Robert Dickinson             


Hi Robert, welcome over to thebookplank and for taking your time to answer these few questions for us!

BP: First off, can you tell us a bit more as to who Robert Dickinson is, what are your likes/dislikes and hobbies?
RD: I’ve had a succession of office jobs, most of which involved spreadsheets. Whenever I’ve joined any kind of artistic association they usually ask me to be treasurer. This possibly tells you something. When I’m not pretending to understand lists of numbers I read, listen to music, attempt to write, and worry about how much time I spend watching television – did I really need to watch that episode of CSI: Cyber? I could have listened to that Ligeti string quartet or memorised two or three Russian words. Instead I find myself admiring the cast’s ability to keep a straight face while they explain cybercrime to each other. Apart from the mild self-loathing induced by rubbish television most of my dislikes are related to politics and the kind of language used by politicians, not to mention the kind of language they provoke me to use.

BP: The Tourist is your debut novel, what gave you the idea to start writing this book?
RD: I’d previously had two novels published by an independent publisher. The Tourist is my first science fiction novel. The idea for this one came out of the blue. I remember waking up from a dream that involved travelling back to 1960s Paris and from that started thinking about the idea of time travel. As somebody once said, we know it’s impossible because if it was possible we’d have met travellers from the future. Well, what if it was possible and we did meet travellers? I thought about it over the course of a Sunday morning and realised I had enough to make a start.

BP: Pursuing the career as an author is chancy road, what gave you the motivation to pick up the pen and start writing?
RD: The first things I ever had published were poems. That soon reconciles you to the idea of never making a living from writing.  I started because I had ideas for things that seemed original, if only to me. In the last few years I’d built up enough savings to be able to take extended breaks from work. That gave me the time to write.

BP: Starting to write novel takes a lot of planning how did you went about writing The Tourist?
RD: By that Sunday afternoon I had the basic idea. I let it simmer for a few days and then started writing. I was certain I’d be able to iron out any inconsistencies as I went. When you start anything you need a certain misplaced optimism.

BP: if you look back on writing The Tourist, what did you find the hardest?
RD: There are two plot strands running through the book. The hardest part was balancing these. You don’t want one to overwhelm the other, and you want to keep both interesting, but in different ways.

BP: Besides the hardest part, which part came to you the easiest?
RD: The tone of the principle narrator. Once you have a tone of voice, a lot of the rest follows.

BP: Which character, scene or chapter did you enjoy writing about the most?
RD: There’s a minor character called Ivan. The narrator doesn’t like him, and it was fun to write about his dislike. Maybe I’ll write something from Ivan’s point of view.

BP: The Tourist will be published on the 20th of October, if you could rewrite or change one scene in the book would you do it? If yes what would you chance and why?
RD: If it was still in my hands I’d probably find something. You don’t finish books: you either get fed up with them or somebody takes them away from you. I trust the editor’s judgement. Perhaps in five years I’ll look back and see what could be different. Or I’ll just use that to write a different book.

BP: The Tourist is about 23rd century tourist visiting the same place a few centuries earlier. If you would be given the chance to visit an earlier century, which one would it be and why?
RD: Ignoring the health risks, the 13th century. As travel destinations go it’s relatively unspoilt (the Renaissance would be full of students on a gap year).

BP: Writing about future and time travel is a tricky bit, there must always be implications, did you find any of did particular hard, by just one movement the future can be altered and the time traveller might never have been born, how did you keep track of things?
RD: The trickiness was something I decided to revel in. It’s even mentioned in the book that the people have two new tenses – one for actions in the future that have already been completed, and another for actions in the past that haven’t yet been undertaken (because that person hasn’t yet been sent back). The characters generally believe they can’t alter the future – anything they do in the past is part of the history they’ve developed from. The problems arise when there isn’t anything in their records. What are they supposed to do then? It’s the same problem faced by people who belong to the era they’re visiting; the travellers are just less used to it. Generally I kept track of the developments in my head, though I occasionally had to go back – or forward – to check that a character hadn’t developed inappropriate foreknowledge of events.

BP: If you would have to sell The Tourist with a single sentence, how would it go?
RD: On and on and on.

BP: which authors and which stories are your source of inspiration?
RD: I’ll steal from anybody. I was impressed by Felix Gilman’s The Half-Made World and inspired by Naomi Foyle’s turn to activist science fiction in her Gaia Chronicles. Other current favourites include Vanished Kingdoms by Norman Davies and the poetry of Karen Solie. There’s also the negative inspiration – where you read or see something and think: No, that’s a mistake or That’s a missed opportunity. Films are good for this.

BP: And last but not least, can you give us a sneak peek of what will be instore for us in The Tourist?
RD: A fed-up travel rep’s account of early 21st century England, terrorism, and some hints about happens after civilisation-as-we-know-it collapses.

BP: Thank you very much for your time Robert and good luck with writing your next book!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview with Christopher Fowler

Author interview with Christopher Fowler. Author bio:  Christopher Fowler is an English novelist living in London, his books contain elements of black comedy, anxiety and social satire. As well as novels, he writes short stories, scripts, press articles and reviews. He lives in King's Cross, on the Battlebridge Basin, and chooses London as the backdrop of many of his stories because any one of the events in its two thousand year history can provide inspiration In 1998 he was the recipient of the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year, for 'Wageslaves'. Then, in 2004, 'The Water Room' was nominated for the CWA People's Choice Award, 'Full Dark House' won the BFS August Derleth Novel of The Year Award 2004 and 'American Waitress' won the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year 2004. The novella 'Breathe' won BFS Best Novella 2005. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi Christopher, welcome over to The Bo

Short Fiction Friday: Selfies

Selfies by Lavie Tidhar "Selfies", by Lavie Tidhar, is a creepy little horror tale about the fate of a young woman who makes the mistake of a lifetime when she buys a new phone in the local mall. It is only a few weeks back that I read a different but very interesting short story of Lavie Tidhar, Dragonkin . I found this story directly to my liking, the synopsis and build up of the story was unique and got me excited by it's less is more writing style. In the end this story for me had so much going on that I hope to see Lavie Tidhar exploring it even further. That aside, now its time for Selfies . I think I can now safely say that Lavie Tidhar is an author to watch out for, his stories will get you thinking and will scare you twice over.  I have been thinking a lot of the current situation with always being connected on social media and the likes. It's unavoidable. One thing that is connected with all of this is of course your smartphone, yes no longer a cell

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor  By Weston Ochse © 2015   There’s something at once terrifying and romantic about an invasion. One wrong move could mean the destruction of everything you know and love, but in the heat of battle, there are crystalline moments in which true humanity shines. Like many military authors, I often look to history for guidance on how to write the future. I’ve always looked at the Battle of Rorke’s Drift as the perfect sort of battle to represent an alien invasion. One hundred and fifty British soldiers in a remote outpost are beset by four thousand Zulu warriors. The odds seemed impossible, yet in the end the British won the day. The early Michael Cain movie Zulu retells this story and stands as one of my favorite military movies of all time. There are moments in the film that resonate. In the face of overwhelming attack, the sergeant major lowly commanding his men to take it easy. Right when everything seems los