Skip to main content

September Review Round-up

September Review Round-up 

It's Review Round-up time again! For those who aren't yet familiar with the Review Round-up's, this is a feature on the blog wherein a highlight a few books that I read in the previous month that stood out amongst the others. Now this doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy the books that aren't mentioned in here. It's just that I read quite a handful of books each month and it's impossible to mention them all. The normal review that I write about those books should also say enough whether I liked it or not.

And as some of you might have come to expect I always try to post it in the last days of the month or in the first days of the new month (hope that makes sense) but I haven't had the time yet to sit down and type it. I had a busy time with finishing some books/reviews and interviews. So without any further delays... here are my picks of September.

1. The Casebook of Newbury and Hobbes by George Mann (Titan Books)
 
This was my first of many encounters with the enigmatic investigative duo Newbury and Hobbes and my first of reading one of George Mann's books. I was pleasantly surprised with this short story collection. It has a great line up of many individual stories and some of those connect with each other on a bigger level. The stories range from the supernatural or the occult as how Newbury wants to name it to steampunk and dark and gritty story. This is one short story collection you don't want to miss! 

Read the full review here


2. The Clown Service by Guy Adams (Del Rey UK)
 
So far I have read a few of Guy Adams' book already and they have proven to be witty and clever books. When I first read about The Clown Service I was stoked. This is the venture of Guy Adams into the genre of supernatural/espionage/urban fantasy, and I can safely say that it was a venture worth taking. The title might throw you a bit of but once you get down into the story it will make sense. The Clown Service shows an interesting story and feels like it is just the beginning of a wholefully eventful series to follow. I will keep my eye on this series as I heard that the second book will take place in my small country The Netherlands!


Read the full review here

3. Two Serpents Rise by Max Gladstone (TOR)


I have had this ARC lying around since I think it was May or June, but I never had the chance to read the first book Three Parts Dead. So after finally gotten around with that one, which literally blew me away, I got down to reading Two Serpents Rise and this was again a huge success. Max Gladstone has created a rich universe in his Craft Sequence series, and set down a unique story. Two Serpents Rise introduced us to a completely new protagonist, Caled, but there was some recalling of the events that occurred in the first book. In essence this book can be read as a stand alone in the series since Max Gladstone does break down several key elements and explains them as the story continues but I can only highly recommend that you start with Three Parts Dead as that book will even get your excited for Two Serpents Rise and the rest of the series.  

Read the full review here

4. Tribune of Rome by Robert Fabbri (Corvus)
 
Some people might say that with reading so much Roman Fiction: isn't it all the same? Well frankly no. And this is what Tribune of Rome proves. What you normally see is that there is the focus on a single person in a specific time. Well. Tribune of Rome start of with the birth of Vespasianus, and you already get to learn that he is special. What I really enjoyed about this first book is that you see Vespasian grown up from a simple farm boy into a seasoned soldier. From the bit of young boy innocence displayed when he was helping out on the farm to his soldiering career is quite a change in scenery but the way that Robert Fabbri tells this tale with all the events happening really makes it feel all natural. Tribune of Rome is a diverse story showing the farm life, the "good" life in Rome and battle and lets not forget the betrayals you are used to. I am eager to see what else Robert Fabbri has in store for me. In his interview Robert Fabbri that the series has been expanding with additional books! good to hear!

Read the full review here

5. Love Minus Eighty by Will McIntosh (Orbit)

Normally I dont really read books that focus on the romance aspect. I have given a few books a try, some even a couple but I just can't get into it. But for Love Minus Eighty I made an exception, and well it proves that I have to do it more often. Love Minus Eighty is an awesome book, and I hadn't thought that it would turn out the way it went. Taking place in the near future with cryogenic dating farms where rich suitors can find their next new brides, directly inspires a uncomfortable feeling of the future, will this happen to us? Will McIntosh describes how this all goes down in quite the detail and sometimes gave me goosebumps. But where Love Minus Eighty really comes through is the part of the characters. The story begins quite simple with following several loose stories but soon you find out how several of these are connected not only with a triangle but on many more levels. The ending of the story is just as beautiful as the individual love stories. If you want to read something new, refreshing and thought provoking pick up Love Minus Eighty


Read the full review here

--------------------------------------- 

Besides the usual review that have gone live on the blog in September, I also interviewed several authors. I really like how passionate they are about there works and often times they do reveal what is in store for us to come! Read the September interviews here:

Stay tuned for October! Plenty of more good books to read and authors to interview! I do have to run the marathon but afterwards I will plan a short holiday to tackle the ever growing TBR pile. 

Cheers, 
Jasper


Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview with Christopher Fowler

Author interview with Christopher Fowler. Author bio:  Christopher Fowler is an English novelist living in London, his books contain elements of black comedy, anxiety and social satire. As well as novels, he writes short stories, scripts, press articles and reviews. He lives in King's Cross, on the Battlebridge Basin, and chooses London as the backdrop of many of his stories because any one of the events in its two thousand year history can provide inspiration In 1998 he was the recipient of the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year, for 'Wageslaves'. Then, in 2004, 'The Water Room' was nominated for the CWA People's Choice Award, 'Full Dark House' won the BFS August Derleth Novel of The Year Award 2004 and 'American Waitress' won the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year 2004. The novella 'Breathe' won BFS Best Novella 2005. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi Christopher, welcome over to The Bo

Short Fiction Friday: Selfies

Selfies by Lavie Tidhar "Selfies", by Lavie Tidhar, is a creepy little horror tale about the fate of a young woman who makes the mistake of a lifetime when she buys a new phone in the local mall. It is only a few weeks back that I read a different but very interesting short story of Lavie Tidhar, Dragonkin . I found this story directly to my liking, the synopsis and build up of the story was unique and got me excited by it's less is more writing style. In the end this story for me had so much going on that I hope to see Lavie Tidhar exploring it even further. That aside, now its time for Selfies . I think I can now safely say that Lavie Tidhar is an author to watch out for, his stories will get you thinking and will scare you twice over.  I have been thinking a lot of the current situation with always being connected on social media and the likes. It's unavoidable. One thing that is connected with all of this is of course your smartphone, yes no longer a cell

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor  By Weston Ochse © 2015   There’s something at once terrifying and romantic about an invasion. One wrong move could mean the destruction of everything you know and love, but in the heat of battle, there are crystalline moments in which true humanity shines. Like many military authors, I often look to history for guidance on how to write the future. I’ve always looked at the Battle of Rorke’s Drift as the perfect sort of battle to represent an alien invasion. One hundred and fifty British soldiers in a remote outpost are beset by four thousand Zulu warriors. The odds seemed impossible, yet in the end the British won the day. The early Michael Cain movie Zulu retells this story and stands as one of my favorite military movies of all time. There are moments in the film that resonate. In the face of overwhelming attack, the sergeant major lowly commanding his men to take it easy. Right when everything seems los