Skip to main content

March Review Round-Up


Last year I started with the Review Round-Up posts in which I highlight several of the books that I read that month, they do not necessarily have to be the highest rated ones though. If the idea behind the book is great but that may have a flaw in the execution can still be one of my favourites, because in my opinion a fresh idea is just as valuable. The listing of them in the top 5 does not mean that the first one was the best I read this month all the books that I read in March were great, I did not encounter any books that I disliked in particular.

I have been skipping the months of January and February with the Round-Ups, I will do my best to have them up and running starting March! 

So what are my favorite picks for this month? 

1. The Tragedy Paper by Elizabeth LaBan (Random House Children)
I have been a fervent fan of young-adult fiction for sometime now and I really like to see authors taking time in showing creativeness in approaching this genre in a different way. The Tragedy Paper is a story that just as easily could have happened in real life. What Elizabeth LaBan managed to put down in this book was very compelling and unique. This is definitely a recommendation for teens and for adults

2. The Doctor and the Roughrider by Mike Resnick (Pyr)
The Doctor and the Roughrider is already the third installment in the Weird West Tales written by Hugo award winner Mike Resnick. It has a great blend of the western setting mashed up with alternate history with and healthy dose of humor and an added dash of steampunk. His stories feature some of the better known American icons from that time like the Edison and Doc Holliday and in The Doctor and the Roughrider we are introduced to Theodore Roosevelt. I for one cannot get enough of this series! 

The fourth book in the series is due to be released this year and is called THE DOCTOR AND THE DINOSAURS, and it has a dinosaur on the cover! That should promise something.

3. The Grim Company by Luke Scull (Head of Zeus)
Somewhere in the late summer of 2012 Head of Zeus, a new publishing house based in the UK, had a big press release about The Grim Company. This first book of a new sword and sorcery/dark-grim and epic fantasy is to be released March this year. This first book really reminds me of a mix between Steven Erikson and Brandon Sanderson. It has in my eyes a lot of potential to grow into the next big series. Luke Scull has a plus in writing this fantasy series being a fantasy game designer as well, and certain elements in the book do reflect this. Though some part did fall a bit short in terms of characters, The Grim Company is definitely a series to watch in the future, the second book will be released in 2014. 

If you have an e-reader and want to get a sneak peak at what is in store for you, head over to the Head of Zeus webpage where you can download an astonishing 2/3 of this epic new fantasy. 

4. Clone Republic by Steven L. Kent (Titan Books)
Clone Republic is the first book in The Clone Rebellion series. I have been catching up with my SF titles and when Titan Books offered to review for their SF/Military March month I jumped to the occasion. Clone Republic is a great series that shows a lot of action, both taking place in deep space galaxy as well as on the planet sides. What really got me eager while reading this book was the clone aspect in the series and the main protagonist Wayson Harris, the clone aspect shows a great inventiveness and offers a lot of possibilities. Next to a lot of action in this first book there is also diversity in the story switching from places in the story and highlighting some of the more common things as well. This series is definitely a recommendation for SF fans!

March was kicked-off with the first two books of the series and the rest of the book all 7 will follow each other up with one month in between from April to October

Also I have been reading quite a few books for Titan the last few months and with their releases like The Aylesford Skull (Tales of Langdon St. Ives) and Without Warning (The Disappearances) series next to The Clone Rebellion, they are really in for a great year.

5. Scourge of the Betrayer by Jeff Salyards (Night Shade Books)
I got by this book when searching for some new sword and sorcery/ dark fantasy books. Released already last year in May, it initially got by me. But luckily I still had the chance to review it. And I wasn't disappointed at all, more on the contrary, Scourge of the Betrayer is an awesome book. It is very well written and although it is pretty short, the story created within promises that there is more to come. Scourge of the Betrayer revolves around a young scribes live as he is now tasked with recording the deeds done by the Syldoon Empire. The Syldoon are known to be ruthless, vicious people, their history is shown more than a few times. But what I liked most about it is the promise of the Bloodsounder weapon (it created for me a ow yes! moment while reading) and the alluring magical elements of the world that Jeff Salyards created. Scourge of the Betrayer is great beginning for a new series, revealing some of the aspect of the world already a bit but leaving you in the dark for the most. 

Book two Veil of the Deserters is out this October 2013 by Night Shade Books

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well lets have a look at what I still have on me reading "plank", normally I refer to my tab of "whats on the plank" but I still have to update it and manage it more. Therefore I will just name a few titles that I am looking forward to reading this month (just a note, all the books that I still have to do I read with pleasure so if you book isn't listed don't think bad about it). 

So here are a few picks for next month
- Hearts of Smoke and Steam by Andrew P. Mayer published by Pyr
I read the first book The Falling Machine last year and was pleasantly surprised with the premise of this book and how a steampunk theme was blended with a superhero theme, whats there not to like?

- Dangerous Gifts by Gaie Sebold published by Solaris
Again a second book in a series. Dangerous Gifts is the sequel to Babylon Steel. This for me is a genre breaking series. Producing truly an out of the box story! I can't wait and see what Dangerous Gifts has in store for me

- Haunting the Nightside by Simon R. Green published by Solaris
I came across this book while looking for other Urban Fantasy books after having read the books of Kate Griffin. Into the Nightside proved to be a more than fruitful and enjoyable story. With a private eye both literally and figuratively and shotgun Suzie.. !

- Truancy City by Isamu Fukui published by Tor Teen
This is already the third installment in the Truancy series. Isamu Fukui published his first book when still in college now I had some reservations in the start by they dissapeared when  reading the first book Truancy and I was very pleased with Truancy: Origins, a prequel to Truancy. It gave a lot of extra information that I wouldn't have guessed. The synopsis says  that the Truants and the Enforcers must join forces.. well this story can turn out any which way.

- City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare published by Walker Books
I started this series last year but has fallen a bit to the background, it is still on my to read list. The Mortal Instruments series so far has been an quite interesting series, though there are a bit awkward references in their and a idea that I found rather weird to use in a YA series but this all turned around. And this book should promise much of what I was hoping for, Clary will be trained to become a shadowhunter!

Besides these five selected books there are of course a lot more that I plan to read this month.

I again want to thank all the authors and the publishing houses that have send me books so far! I couldn't do this without your support!

bests, 
Jasper

Note: all the reviews are originally posted at www.fantasybookreview.co.uk






Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview with Christopher Fowler

Author interview with Christopher Fowler. Author bio:  Christopher Fowler is an English novelist living in London, his books contain elements of black comedy, anxiety and social satire. As well as novels, he writes short stories, scripts, press articles and reviews. He lives in King's Cross, on the Battlebridge Basin, and chooses London as the backdrop of many of his stories because any one of the events in its two thousand year history can provide inspiration In 1998 he was the recipient of the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year, for 'Wageslaves'. Then, in 2004, 'The Water Room' was nominated for the CWA People's Choice Award, 'Full Dark House' won the BFS August Derleth Novel of The Year Award 2004 and 'American Waitress' won the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year 2004. The novella 'Breathe' won BFS Best Novella 2005. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi Christopher, welcome over to The Bo

Short Fiction Friday: Selfies

Selfies by Lavie Tidhar "Selfies", by Lavie Tidhar, is a creepy little horror tale about the fate of a young woman who makes the mistake of a lifetime when she buys a new phone in the local mall. It is only a few weeks back that I read a different but very interesting short story of Lavie Tidhar, Dragonkin . I found this story directly to my liking, the synopsis and build up of the story was unique and got me excited by it's less is more writing style. In the end this story for me had so much going on that I hope to see Lavie Tidhar exploring it even further. That aside, now its time for Selfies . I think I can now safely say that Lavie Tidhar is an author to watch out for, his stories will get you thinking and will scare you twice over.  I have been thinking a lot of the current situation with always being connected on social media and the likes. It's unavoidable. One thing that is connected with all of this is of course your smartphone, yes no longer a cell

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor  By Weston Ochse © 2015   There’s something at once terrifying and romantic about an invasion. One wrong move could mean the destruction of everything you know and love, but in the heat of battle, there are crystalline moments in which true humanity shines. Like many military authors, I often look to history for guidance on how to write the future. I’ve always looked at the Battle of Rorke’s Drift as the perfect sort of battle to represent an alien invasion. One hundred and fifty British soldiers in a remote outpost are beset by four thousand Zulu warriors. The odds seemed impossible, yet in the end the British won the day. The early Michael Cain movie Zulu retells this story and stands as one of my favorite military movies of all time. There are moments in the film that resonate. In the face of overwhelming attack, the sergeant major lowly commanding his men to take it easy. Right when everything seems los