Skip to main content

Planning and fertilizer

plum tomatoes
With the first month of autumn already away, my vegetable garden in running on its last few plants, and this is a nice opportunity to look back at what I have gotten so far and how to improve yield for next year! 

I bought my house in March 2011 and was already to late to full plant in my garden and still had to tidy up a bit. So last years harvest was not that great, I also had to guess what good positions were for each crop. So I drew up a short plan with sowing dates, fertilizer and positions. 

For 2012 I sowed the following:
- Brussel's sprouts

- Carrot (orange/white/red/purple/yellow)
- Beets (red/white/chioggia)
- Radish (red/purple/yellow)
- Lettuce (green/red)
- Pumpkins (Uchiki kuri)
- Potatoes
- Broad beans
- Purple snap beans
- Pole slicing beans
- Tomatoes (cherry/plum/cocktail)
- Cucumber (long/mini)
- Pepper (bell-red)


broad and purple snap beans

Next to the sown crops I also had the following perennials
- Rhubarb
- Apple trees (elstar/pippin orange)
- Peach tree
- Kiwi berry
- Lemon bush
- Strawberries
- Blackberry



I managed in total to get 4 rotations of radish, 3 for lettuce and 2 for beets. All the others had a single rotation with Rhubarb being the exception which I got to harvest thrice. 

Some numbers: 
peeled broad beans (tumb on the left)

- Carrot: about 40
- Beets: about 10
- Radish: over a 100 
- Lettuce: about 20 heads
- Pumpkins: 1
- Potatoes: about +6kg
- Broad beans: 1kg
- Purple snap beans: 1.5kg
- Pole slicing beans: 4.5kg
- Tomatoes (cherry/plum/cocktail): over 50 in total
- Cucumber (long/mini): 2 long, 7 mini
- Pepper (bell-red): 8

Next to the sown crops I also had the following perennials
- Rhubarb: 15kg
- Apple trees (elstar/pippin orange): 4kg
- Peach tree: nothing :-(
- Kiwi berry: nothing :-(
- Lemon bush: still growing
- Strawberries: about 20 small ones
- Blackberry: 3kg
Radish is always a winner (yellow, french breakfast and purple)


Some crops are still growing like my Brussel's sprouts and I still have some carrots and beets as well. What I did different than last year was sowing directly on the spot, thereby circumventing possible damage to the plant roots while transplanting. I had this for my maize last year and the adaptation of the plants took too long. The tomatoes and cucumbers were an exception, I took those as a well developed plant from work (yay). With sowing on the spot, I covered the seedlings with glas bottles for any snails proved a good strategy. Also using a fertilizer really speeds up growing of the plants, I did not have this last year. Sowing crops well in advance is not a great idea, I was prone to do this in the beginning but they get out of sync and hardly produce anything. So stick to the sowing directions. 

What is the plan for next year?
pole slicing beans

Crop rotation to decrease pathogen build-up and complete depletion of minerals and other nutrients in the soil. I did have a few pathogens this year, mainly in my peach tree. after blossoming and fruit set I had about 24 peaches but due to the wet spring there got a fungus in my tree that thrives in wet climates which caused all my fruits to drop. Another pest that I had in the summer, in the few very hot and dry days were mites in my kiwi berry which also caused fruit drop and almost killed the plants! I got for both pests some tricks up my sleeve for next year. Beware!


The crops that I intend to plant next year are again the above mentioned ones but I will change to a different pumpkin. The "uchiki kuri" pumpkin in my garden is prone to fruit drop in the wet seasons, so I am switching it with the "sweet dumpling" though smaller, they produce more pumpkins per plant. As for the tomatoes, cherries and smaller tomatoes are better suited for the dutch climate but I found an interesting tomato, "pink brandywine" that I am eager to try, it is the closest heirloom I can get my hands on. I also want to try a cousin of the tomato the naranjilla (or solanum quitoense), it is said that it has great flavor. 

As for new perennial fruit bushes/trees I added a gooseberry, black berry, honeyberry and a plum tree (actually two but both grafted onto one rootstock, downside of plums is that they need cross fertilization for a good fruitset). 

I know I have some work cut out for me next year. Lets hope for a good season.




















Popular posts from this blog

Author Interview with Christopher Fowler

Author interview with Christopher Fowler. Author bio:  Christopher Fowler is an English novelist living in London, his books contain elements of black comedy, anxiety and social satire. As well as novels, he writes short stories, scripts, press articles and reviews. He lives in King's Cross, on the Battlebridge Basin, and chooses London as the backdrop of many of his stories because any one of the events in its two thousand year history can provide inspiration In 1998 he was the recipient of the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year, for 'Wageslaves'. Then, in 2004, 'The Water Room' was nominated for the CWA People's Choice Award, 'Full Dark House' won the BFS August Derleth Novel of The Year Award 2004 and 'American Waitress' won the BFS Best Short Story Of The Year 2004. The novella 'Breathe' won BFS Best Novella 2005. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi Christopher, welcome over to The Bo

Short Fiction Friday: Selfies

Selfies by Lavie Tidhar "Selfies", by Lavie Tidhar, is a creepy little horror tale about the fate of a young woman who makes the mistake of a lifetime when she buys a new phone in the local mall. It is only a few weeks back that I read a different but very interesting short story of Lavie Tidhar, Dragonkin . I found this story directly to my liking, the synopsis and build up of the story was unique and got me excited by it's less is more writing style. In the end this story for me had so much going on that I hope to see Lavie Tidhar exploring it even further. That aside, now its time for Selfies . I think I can now safely say that Lavie Tidhar is an author to watch out for, his stories will get you thinking and will scare you twice over.  I have been thinking a lot of the current situation with always being connected on social media and the likes. It's unavoidable. One thing that is connected with all of this is of course your smartphone, yes no longer a cell

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor

Guest Blog: Alien Invasion Stories from Armada to Grunt Traitor  By Weston Ochse © 2015   There’s something at once terrifying and romantic about an invasion. One wrong move could mean the destruction of everything you know and love, but in the heat of battle, there are crystalline moments in which true humanity shines. Like many military authors, I often look to history for guidance on how to write the future. I’ve always looked at the Battle of Rorke’s Drift as the perfect sort of battle to represent an alien invasion. One hundred and fifty British soldiers in a remote outpost are beset by four thousand Zulu warriors. The odds seemed impossible, yet in the end the British won the day. The early Michael Cain movie Zulu retells this story and stands as one of my favorite military movies of all time. There are moments in the film that resonate. In the face of overwhelming attack, the sergeant major lowly commanding his men to take it easy. Right when everything seems los